Written by Alison Wright, nutritional practitioner at Balance Osteopathy
I love bananas – they are a regular part of my diet and I would be lost without them! Here are 5 reasons to include them in your day:-
- For mood – bananas contain high levels of tryptophan which is converted into the calming neurotransmitter serotonin.
- For sleep – bananas contain high levels of the natural muscle relaxants potassium and magnesium. Potassium can also help to combat running or restless legs.
- For digestion – bananas are high in fibre, in particular FOS which help to feed the good bacteria in our guts.
- For exercise – packed with vitamins, minerals and low GI carbs, bananas are a perfect source of energy pre workout or for endurance athletes. Portable, portion sized, not too pricey.
- For cardiovascular health – bananas contain potassium which can help regulate blood pressure and fibre which is cardioprotective and helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
So don’t be put off by the bad press, eat your banana as part of a balanced diet (two serves of fruit a day for most) and be sure to enjoy with a side of protein such as raw almonds or walnuts for a truly satisfying snack.
Tip: Too many bananas? Peel them slice them and freeze them in zip lock bags. Frozen banana adds an extra creaminess to smoothies or can be useful for a healthy banana bread.